Author Topic: REX Essential + with PFPX  (Read 6134 times)

aal763

REX Essential + with PFPX
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
Will you be able to use the upper wind data from REX Ess?   Also will you be able to export a route from PFPX to REX Essential?

Offline gary.mcginnis

Re: REX Essential + with PFPX
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »
Hi,

I am going to be forced to switch to REX for the weather server as AS gets ready to shut down the ASv6.5 sever (ASE don't officially work for me). How is the weather server for REX? I have a registered version for FSUIPC and I know that will correct all the FS9 weather bugs. All the reviews I've read on REX only talk about the textures though.

As far as your question, you should be able to use REX for winds aloft data. I currently use AS data pumped into PFPX.

Thanks,
Gary
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:09:32 PM by gary.mcginnis »

Offline homepilot152

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Will you be able to use the upper wind data from REX Ess?   Also will you be able to export a route from PFPX to REX Essential?
Hello, AAL763 Rex uses mainly  weather data from  NOAA, so upper wind data is close reality as possible. TopCat uses also NOAA and I believe that PFPX is using it too  :) Sorry if I have bad english... ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:53:25 PM by homepilot152 »

Offline JAP

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
Hello,

Before I give my thoughts on REXe, I have to say that I haven't tested the new REXe weather engine beta. It should have many improvements so have this in mind when you read the following:

Most of my flights are less than two hours long (under 500nm) long, and I prefer to fly routes that have IMC weather expected during landing. For these flights, here are the weather engines I have used (in the order of preference):

1) AS2012 (upgraded from ASE)
2) Opus
3) REXe

If Opus can work around the problems where wind shift cause overspeeds (FSUIPC isn't able to control these) and REXe will have better IMC conditions, they will challenge AS2012's top spot in my "FSX tool box".

- Jarkko
Jarkko Puustinen

Offline gary.mcginnis

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:41:55 PM »
Jap,

So REX is pretty good then? Maybe lacking somewhat on IMC but a stable platform?

Gary

Offline qqwertz

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
I use REX textures with the AS2012 weather engine. The REX engine has been improved compared to REX overdrive, but it still has the winds aloft problem. AS2012 got rid of this with a trick. It is not perfect but probably the best engine at this time.

Offline gary.mcginnis

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
I use REX textures with the AS2012 weather engine. The REX engine has been improved compared to REX overdrive, but it still has the winds aloft problem. AS2012 got rid of this with a trick. It is not perfect but probably the best engine at this time.
Was told the REX issue with winds aloft was the common FS2004 wind error. Corrected by a registered version of FSUIPC. The trick you're talking about is DWC (Direct Wind Control) and it basically does what a registered version of FSUIPC does AFAIK.

Wish I could still use ASE but I can't unfortunately  :'(

Gary 

Offline qqwertz

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »
Was told the REX issue with winds aloft was the common FS2004 wind error. Corrected by a registered version of FSUIPC. The trick you're talking about is DWC (Direct Wind Control) and it basically does what a registered version of FSUIPC does AFAIK.
Yes, it's the common problem in FSX except that they were able to rectify it a little bit. I have a registered FSUIPC but I think I got it after AS2012, so I can't tell if FSUIPC fixes the problem. However, I recall an older forum contribution by Pete Dowson in which he wrote it wasn't fixable (too old?!). DWC is just a work around and has its drawbacks, but it is better than the alternatives for me.