Author Topic: New Re-Dispatch Video and General Information Posted!!  (Read 19580 times)

Offline gary.mcginnis

New Re-Dispatch Video and General Information Posted!!
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:13 AM »
Hi all,

Due to the great amount of support my last video/forum post received, in addition to a lot of requests, I would like to present to you another video and forum post. This time regarding re-dispatch procedures. As I said before, it will only cover the rules, regulations, and procedures for an FAA FAR 121 air carrier with reference to Operations Specification B044.

The flight was ABX Air 2208 from MGGT/GUA to KLAX/LAX. This flight operated on 10 JAN 2013 using N219CY (Boeing 767-300) operated for Aeromexico Cargo. The trips rotation that week was ABX2207 KLAX-MROC -- ABX2208 MROC-MGGT-KLAX. This flight will sometimes make a "tech stop" in MMBT/HUX when using the 767-200. However, since the 767-300 has taken over the flights out of KLAX, the stop in MMBT/HUX has not been occurring.

In the video, I discuss MGGT a little bit (regarding the performance issues) as well as why I had to do a re-dispatch flight on this occasion. Also attached to this forum post is a few pictures of the OFP and PFPX.

As with my previous forum post, I've attached a copy of the OFP to the bottom of this post for download.

ABX2208 MGGT-KLAX - Flightaware
ABX2208 MGGT-KLAX - Vataware

PFPX Re-Dispatch Overview Youtube Video

Previous Forum Post
New PFPX Video and General Information

Enjoy.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retrieved from: www.jetplan.com User Manual

The simplified theory behind re-dispatch flights. If you still have trouble with the concept of re-dispatch after reading this forum post and watching the video, feel free to post questions below. A description of re-dispatch and how it relates to PFPX will also be included in the PFPX manual.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-Dispatch Planning Tab
The re-dispatch planning tab is very simple and easy to use in PFPX. All you have to do is follow the prompts, enter route(s), and then move on to the next section of PFPX. In addition, PFPX has an automatic re-dispatch feature that will automatically select the re-dispatch fix as well as initial destination/alternate. You only use this re-dispatch tab when initially generating the OFP and not when composing the re-dispatch message later on when the flight is enroute.  PFPX is by far the easiest re-dispatch flight planner I have ever used  :P

Reference the PFPX manual for more information.

ABX2208's FPL Message
In the previous forum post, I made note of the RIF/ FPL input and wanted to draw your attention to it now. The RIF/ input is a re-dispatch input that shows the re-dispatch fix, route to inital destination, and initial destination in the FPL message. In this example I just filed PPE DCT KNYL but should you have an actual route inputted in the re-dispatch planning tabs, that route would show up here as well. PFPX automatically puts the RIF/ input in the FPL message for every re-dispatch flight.

OFP Re-Dispatch Fuel Plan
This picture is the re-dispatch fuel plan section breaking down the fuel plans for MGGT to KNYL via PPE as well as PPE to KLAX. I also noted my ETAs to KNYL and MMML which help me reference the time frame to look for on the TAF.

Weather Briefing
The PFPX generated textural weather briefing. As you can see, I made note of the required alternate minimums for our initial destination's alternate since it is a small airport right on the US/Mexico boarder. The airport (MMML) only has VOR approaches and thus is considered single navaid approach minimums (add 400' - 1SM to the approach minimums) when using Operations Specification C055.

"Romeo Delta Alpha"
How the re-dispatch looked from the dispatcher's side. This is what I was talking about in the in the video regarding how PFPX looks after you release the re-dispatch flight plan. The STD (0423Z) was the estimated time of arrival over PPE.

"Romeo Delta Alpha"
How the re-dispatch procedure looks from the pilot's side.

Become friends with Topcatsim Flightsimsoft on Facebook for even more pictures and additional information on PFPX!

Thanks for reading,
Gary
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:38:51 PM by gary.mcginnis »

Offline E_Range

Re: Re-Dispatch Video and General Information
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:36:37 AM »
Hmmm, so you're saying, if the flight is from EGLL to KORD and i want to squeeze more cargo in by knocking out some of the 10% reserve, Do i plan and FLY the flight as EGLL to KORD, then replan from EGLL to KBOS and use the 10% reserve quanitity of the EGLL to KBOS for both legs?

At what point do i divert to KBOS again?

Or is it that our flight is from EGLL to KORD but we instead plan it EGLL to KBOS and then enroute if we find we have enough fuel to make it to KORD we continue to KORD?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:40:26 AM by E_Range »
Kind regards,
Bryan

Offline gary.mcginnis

Re: Re-Dispatch Video and General Information
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »
Hi,

The 10% from EGLL to KBOS should be plenty to cover all enroute and reserve requirements from KBOS to KORD. If not, the flight planner automatically adds what is called "re-dispatch extra" fuel. The 30 minutes of HOLD @ 1500' AGL stays basically the same for both EGLL-KBOS and KBOS-KORD obviously. Thus the 10% for the KBOS-KORD leg becomes the real legal reserve.

So the last thing you said is basically correct. You carry the legal reserves as if you were going to KBOS and then at the re-dispatch fix, if you have legal reserves to continue on from that fix to KORD, you continue on to KORD. If you don't have the required fuel at the re-dispatch fix, you simply fly to the initial destination (KBOS) from the re-dispatch fix via the RIF/ route.

The flight is planned for EGLL-KORD at departure but the reserves are reduced based on EGLL-KBOS and KBOS-KORD together.

Hope that helps....

Gary
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:11:04 PM by gary.mcginnis »

Offline E_Range

Re: New Re-Dispatch Video and General Information Posted!!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »
Ok i think i understand, so its like this..

We have cargo to get to KORD from EGLL

We file flightplan with ATC EGLL to KORD

Then we need to squeeze in more cargo so we reduce the 10% reserve by, building a flightplan from EGLL to KBOS and then one from KBOS to KORD

Then we take the total Fuel from EGLL to KBOS minus the 10% reserve on this leg and add the total fuel for KBOS to KORD and add the 10% reserve from that leg.

Then 2 hours from KBOS we check to see if we can make it to KORD we continue, if not we divert to KBOS.

Correct?

If so then why do we use the 10% reserve from the KBOS to KORD leg and not the EGLL to KBOS leg? Using the 10% from EGLL to KBOS would seem to satisfy the requirements of both legs instead of using the 10% from the KBOS to KORD leg wouldnt it?
Kind regards,
Bryan

Offline jeff64

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »
hello

thanks for this work ;)

I don't understand the 10PCT calculations on the OFP...
On the Burnout MGGT, we have :
TO PPE 43338
TO KNYL 3112
So a sum of 46450
So 10PCT would be 4645, but we have 4183 on the OFP.

On the Burnout PPE, we have
To KLAX : 7584
So 10PCt should be 759
But instead we have 1.016.

??

The flighttime is expected to be 4h41
"BURNOUT       50922  ........  04:41"

But the OFP specifies : "2000 FT BELOW:  +756 LB / EET 04:04"

So I understand it that, by flying 2000 fts lower than the prescribed altitude, I would arrive 40 minutes early, but I would burn 800 lbs of fuel ?
I find these numbers pretty hard to believe.

Or am I missing something ?

thank you

Offline gary.mcginnis

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »
Ok i think i understand, so its like this..

We have cargo to get to KORD from EGLL

We file flightplan with ATC EGLL to KORD

Then 2 hours from KBOS we check to see if we can make it to KORD we continue, if not we divert to KBOS.

Correct?

If so then why do we use the 10% reserve from the KBOS to KORD leg and not the EGLL to KBOS leg? Using the 10% from EGLL to KBOS would seem to satisfy the requirements of both legs instead of using the 10% from the KBOS to KORD leg wouldnt it?
Correct and that is what I said above about the 10% on EGLL-KBOS. Take another look at my reply :)

Jeff64,

Two things....

1) The 10% is based off time not actual fuel. Different variables come in to play for figuring the fuel side.

2) There was a minor performance issue with PFPX in that beta release and those numbers weren't correct at the time. This issue has since been resolved :)

Gary
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:21:52 PM by gary.mcginnis »

Offline E_Range

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
Thanks gary :), another question, so we divert to KBOS if it looks like continuing to KORD would eat into the 30 Minutes reserve plus fuel to alternate airport right?
Kind regards,
Bryan

Offline gary.mcginnis

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
You would divert if you don't have the required RDSP FUEL. Take another look at the video, its all there :)

Offline jeff64

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
Gary : Thank you very much

Offline E_Range

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Ahh ok thanks a lot Gary, im still a little fuzzy about certain things but i guess it will become clearer once i start using PFPX.
Kind regards,
Bryan

Offline cpawley

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »
Thanks for the video Gary!

Chris.

Offline JET_JOCK

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:09 AM »
EU-OPS PDP for our European Operators

See attached from LIDO

Offline petrsurf

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
Hi thanks for great video . I have one question would somebody from developers do any full tutorial video with explaining for detail planning . I just think that video tutorial are mostly time much better and easier to remember. Thanks Petr

aal763

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 02:51:35 AM »
So basically you print out another whole OFP at the re-dispatch point if you have the required fuel to go on right?  Or can you use the original one that has the redispatch planning info on it?  This wouldn't work so well for me since I run pfpx on same computer as fsx and don't like to pause and minimize fsx in order to re-dispatch a flight and print out the new OFP, since I run it in fullscreen mode. 

aal763

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
Also, in real life are operators who use the B343 fuel rules also able to use re-dispatch on the same flight?

Regards,
Rob