Author Topic: New PFPX Video and General Information  (Read 26354 times)

Offline gary.mcginnis

New PFPX Video and General Information
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:36:23 PM »
Hi all,

In celebration of signing an agreement for AIRAC updates, we have decided to release a new Youtube video reviewing the paperwork of PFPX. There has been some requests made for a video like this, on the Topcatsim Facebook page, and it was decided that now is a good time to release the video in celebration of overcoming one of the last major obstacles in releasing PFPX.

The flight was Ryan International 9001 from EGVN/BZZ to KBGR/BGR. This flight operated on 31 OCT 2012 and continued onto KVCV/VCV after a tech stop in KBGR/BGR using N637TW (Boeing 767-300). I was able to finally simulate it on 06 FEB 2013.

RYN9001 EGVN-KBGR - Flightaware
RYN9001 EGVN-KBGR - Vataware

Enjoy.....

PFPX Paperwork Overview Youtube Video

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said in the video, I want to break down what all the letters and numbers mean in the ETOPS DATA and FPL message sections for those of you who might be unsure. This is just a brief overview based on this flight plan and Boeing 767-300 aircraft only. Attached to the bottom of this forum post is a copy of the actual OFP.

ETOPS DATA

This is a 120 minute ETOPS flight using the alternates of: EINN/SNN - BIKF/KEF - CYYR/YYR

ICING CONDITIONS - INCLUDING FUEL FOR ONE MISSED APPROACH
This means just as it sounds. The ETP fuel required includes anti-ice fuel additions as well as fuel for one missed approach at the diversion airport. When I was looking at the weather, the 050-100 icing chart (since our diversion is planned on the worst case scenario of a loss of one engine, depressurized, at 10,000 feet) indicated possible icing along the diversion routes when crossing through the cold front.

ETOPS ENTRY  (EINN)     367 NM BEFORE 54N030W     N52 05.2 W020 21.6     EET 01:43
ETOPS EXIT     (CYYR)       40 NM BEFORE 55N050W     N55 03.5 W048 50.3     EET 04:00
This is the ETOPS airspace entry and exit data and is self explanatory. For Ryan International, they used 420NM to define their ETOPS airspace (my company uses 424NM). As such, the entry point is exactly 420NM from EINN. I personally use the FIX page(s) to define the ETOPS ENTRY/EXIT points instead of the LAT/LON coordinates. That way I have a visual representation without having to modify the active route or add these points in RTE 2; which I dedicate for ETP data as you can see below.

The MAGENTA line is the active route and the CYAN line is the equal time point data on RTE 2. We are approaching our second ETP in this picture.

ETOPS ALTNS WX/NOTAM SUITABILITY PERIOD
EINN    (18:32-20:05)
BIKF     (20:05-21:35)
CYYR    (20:55-21:35)

This next section is the weather window for the planned use of the selected diversion alternates. As I mentioned in the video, I will round off the times (18:32 becomes 18:00 for example) to make it easier to reference the TAF and find out what the weather is forecast to be during the time frame of possible usage.

If the weather meets the requirements of Operations Specification C055 (FAR 121 carriers) and there are no NOTAMs negating the usage of the airport, I will make a check mark next to the airports indicating that I've confirmed that airport is legal. Once en route, the required weather drops from C055 to landing minimums (including any changes by NOTAM) and if the airport is still legal, I make a second check mark next to the airport. This is something I personally came up with in an attempt to indicate that I've verified the legality of the ETOPS alternates both before departure and then enroute.

ETO ETP 1 FOR EINN/BIKF                                                                   N53 33.1 W027 15.2   EET 02:17
1EOEMER DESC TO FL100 CRUISE AT 1EO310                                    101 NM BEFORE 54N030W
PLN FUEL OVER ETP 68460          ETP FUEL REQ  22076                      DIV TIME 01:48
ETP TO EINN (N52 42.0 W008 55.2)                    DIST  661 NM           WC TL021   TT 087
ETP TO BIKF (N63 59.0 W022 36.1)                     DIST  643 NM           WC TL017   TT 011
*** FUEL DUMP REQUIRED ***

Now the crux of the ETOPS DATA section; the ETP (Equal Time Point) information. The 767s I work with are dedicated freighter aircraft and legally I do not have take into account a depressurized aircraft with one engine inoperative. The theory is the pilot, should both a depressurization and engine failure occur, would go on oxygen and remain at a higher single-engine altitude. Thus a loss of an engine becomes the worst case scenario for a 767F. However, I still plan at 10,000 feet (like passenger 767s) because I personally would not want to wear a cumbersome/uncomfortable O2 mask for up to 3 hours while limping along on a failed engine. Therefore the worst case scenario of being depressurized at 10,000 feet on one engine is used by myself in the real world, as well as flight sim, with or without passengers in the back. However, PFPX allows you to include all three different types of scenarios if you should desire. All three of the ETP scenarios will show up in the ETOPS DATA section but only the worst case scenario ETP will show up on the actual navigation log. Plus the ETP locations are always in relativity similar locations and only using one scenario eliminates the possibility of picking the incorrect ETP during an in-flight emergency.

With that being said lets break it down.....

ETO is the scenario code I just talked about above (can customize the scenario name)
ETP 1 FOR EINN/BIKF indicates this is the first ETP (we had two for this flight)
N53 33.1 W027 15.2 is the actual location of the ETP
EET 02:17 is the elapsed time that we should cross the ETP based on our flight plan
1EOEMER DESC TO FL100 CRUISE AT 1EO310 is the driftdown and cruise profiles set up in my aircraft configuration as well as the driftdown altitude*
101 NM BEFORE 54N030W is a mile based reference from a fix on the route of flight to the ETP
PLN FUEL OVER ETP 68460 is the planned fuel over the ETP based on our flight plan
ETP FUEL REQ  22076 is the required fuel for the diversion should it occur**
DIV TIME 01:48 indicates the diversion time to each airport from the ETP point (hence the term Equal Time Point)
ETP TO EINN (N52 42.0 W008 55.2) is the diversion route to the ETOPS alternate airport along with the airport's LAT/LON coordinates
DIST  661 NM is the actual distance from the ETP to the ETOPS alternate airport (in this case it is 661NM from the ETP the EINN)
WC TL021 is the wind component at the diversion altitude (in this case it is a TaiLwind of 21 knots @ 10,000 feet should we turn back to EINN)
TT 087 is the True Track from the ETP to the ETOPS alternate (in this case a 087 degree track back to EINN) 
ETP TO BIKF (N63 59.0 W022 36.1) is the diversion route to the ETOPS alternate airport along with the airport's LAT/LON coordinates
DIST  643 NM is the actual distance from the ETP to the ETOPS alternate airport (in this case it is 643NM from the ETP the BIKF)
WC TL017 is the wind component at the diversion altitude (in this case it is a TaiLwind of 17 knots @ 10,000 feet should we turn up to BIKF)
TT 011 is the True Track from the ETP to the ETOPS alternate (in this case a 011 degree track up to BIKF) 
*** FUEL DUMP REQUIRED *** indicates that we will be over our structural MAX landing weight should we divert***

*Depending on the aircraft, PFPX has many different options to choose from.
**Can differ from airline to airline and country to country; PFPX allows the user to define their personal ETOPS diversion fuel requirements.
***Ryan International had all fuel dumping capabilities deactivated in the 767, so had a diversion actually arose, the aircraft would land over weight.

FPL MESSAGE

For those who may be worried, PFPX is ICAO 2012 compliant.
http://www.topcatsim.com/forum/index.php?topic=887.0

FPL-RYN9001-IM means this is the FPL message for Ryan International flight 9001 which is an instrument and military flight*
B763/H- = Boeing 767-300 in the Heavy Wake Turbulence Category
SDFHIRWXYZ/S = Navigation equipment and Transponder (See "ICAO 2012 Changes" link above and picture below)
EGVN1600 = Departure airport's ICAO identifier and departure time in Zulu
N0487F320 = Initial true airspace in kNots and initial altitude (Flight level 320)
DCY MALBY DCT DIKAS UL180.... = Route of flight with associated planned step climbs
KBGR0636 KPSM = Arrival airport's ICAO identifier, flight planned time (e.g. 6 hours 36 minutes enroute), and destination alternate(s)
PBN/A1B3C4D4 = Performance Based Nav equipment codes which is a 2012 change (See "ICAO 2012 Changes" link above)
NAV/RNVD1E2A1 = US/TERPS RNAV SID/STAR/Q-AIRWAY/T-AIRWAY authorization**
DOF/130206 = Zulu date (formerly optional before the 2012 changes but now mandatory based on the ability to file FPL messages days in advance)
REG/N637TW = Aircraft Registration
EET/EISN0038 EGGX0114.... = Estimated Elapsed Time along the flight plan when crossing into the various FIR/ARTCC boundaries
SEL/CDHL = Aircraft's SELCAL code
RVR/ = Lowest Authorized RVR value (can be selected off in PFPX as it is not a required FPL notation)
OPR/RYAN INTERNATIONAL = Aircraft Operator
ORGN/KRFDRYNZ = FPL message origin AFTN code (See "ICAO 2012 Changes" link above for more info on the 2012 changes)
RALT/EINN BIKF CYYR  = ETOPS Alternates if on an ETOPS flight only***
RMK/TCAS EQUIPPED = Also known as "Item 18" where free hand remarks can be made (Z in the aircraft equipment string)
E/0819 = Endurance valued based on the minimum required fuel and not the total fuel on board the aircraft

*The five accepted type-of-flight codes. All included in PFPX.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"S"   Scheduled air service;
"N"   Non-scheduled air transport operation;
"G"   General aviation;
"M"   Military; or
"X"   Other than any of the above categories.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Can be many different combinations, all of which are contained in PFPX.
***RIF/ and the initial destination are also included if doing a re-dispatch flight (see Facebook pictures and ICAO 2012 link for examples).

PFPX has all "Item 10" and "Item 18" FPL message inputs available for use including STS/ and PER/ just to name a few.

Become friends with Topcatsim Flightsimsoft on Facebook for even more pictures and additional information on PFPX!

Thanks for reading,
Gary
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:54:54 PM by gary.mcginnis »

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
Re: New PFPX Video and General Information
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »
Hi Gary,

Here is the best tutorial ever done of this complex topic for many simmers.
Thanks for this excellent job.

Cheers
Pierre

Offline cpawley

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
Thanks Gary - interesting viewing with my Saturday morning coffee :)

Chris

Offline jeff64

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
Holy Sh.t
That sounds very great. Can't wait to get it to use this wonderful OFP for my flights ;)

Thank you for this complex video work !! :D

Andayle

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Really nice video :D  Shows a lot of information and answers a lot of questions.

There is only one question left that we need an answer for, I'm pretty sure you can guess what that question is? :P

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
Hi,

Yes Andayle, I know what is question I've watched my crystal bowl, but there was much fog inside....
I'll try again tomorrow.

Cheers
Pierre

Offline gary.mcginnis

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
Thank you all so far!

What a lot of  people need to realize we (the PFPX team) had no news to report while we waited for the Navdata contract to be signed and it took a while. The team had been using AIRAC 1108 for the longest time. Plus there was sort of an unofficial gag order in place until the contract could be signed.

Now with that over (Navigraph seems to not be interested) the team is going to start testing the AIRACs for a few releases and then...... 8)

Offline MikeOscar

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »
Thank you all so far!

What a lot of  people need to realize we (the PFPX team) had no news to report while we waited for the Navdata contract to be signed and it took a while. The team had been using AIRAC 1108 for the longest time. Plus there was sort of an unofficial gag order in place until the contract could be signed.

Now with that over (Navigraph seems to not be interested) the team is going to start testing the AIRACs for a few releases and then...... 8)

I understand that! But you said "...the team is going to start testing the AIRACs for a few releases..." Does that mean that it will take serveral months (because a new AIRAC comes every 28 days!)  :(

Offline lpf20011

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »
Hi Gary,

Great work and nice to have a good look over the PFPX output.

Something I have looked for but couldn't see any relating information is fuel burn for 2000ft below or above the planned flight level. Probably most helpful on a Trans Atlantic route where its possible you'll be given a differnt flight level. - Scrap this found it on the FP afterall!

Cheers,

Tim
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:24:06 PM by lpf20011 »

Offline philippepraprotnik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »
Hi Gary,

Great work and nice to have a good look over the PFPX output.

Something I have looked for but couldn't see any relating information is fuel burn for 2000ft below or above the planned flight level. Probably most helpful on a Trans Atlantic route where its possible you'll be given a differnt flight level. - Scrap this found it on the FP afterall!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

im not Gary but just to make you happy up to the release ...

this is a flightplan i generated today and of course it includes your request.

yours truly.

Philippe.

AIR FRANCE FLIGHTPLAN - IFR  AFR007  744F  LFPG-KJFK 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL WEIGHTS IN KILOGRAMS (KG)                                        09 FEB 2013
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PREPARED BY PHILIPPE PRAPROTNIK   09 FEB 2013   16:23 UTC

AFR007   OFP TBD   744F/B747-400 CF6                      ROUTE:          (AUTO)

DEP: LFPG/CDG 08L   ELEV   392 FT   CRZ SPD:  LRC         TTL G/C DIST:  3154 NM
ARR: KJFK/JFK 31L   ELEV    14 FT   INIT ALT: FL300       TTL F/P DIST:  3295 NM
                                    BURN ADJ: 100.0%      TTL AIR DIST:  3550 NM
                                                          AVG WIND CMP: HD034 KT
ALT: CYQB/YQB 06    ELEV   243 FT   402 NM
CONFIG      DOW  PAX   CARGO   TOTAL   ULOAD LIM             ZFW     TOW     LDW
STANDARD 165093               116519       0 LDW     MAX  288031  396893  302093
                                                     PLN  281612  388386  302093
                                                     ACT  ......  ......  ......
               FUEL    CORR    ENDUR
TRIP          86293  ........  07:25
CONT 5%        4315  ........  00:29
ALTN CYQB     11652  ........  01:07
FINAL RSV      4514  ........  00:30
MIN T/O      106774  ........  09:31       .....................................
EXTRA             0  ........  00:00       CAPTAINS SIGNATURE  (....)
TAXI              0  ........  00:00       
RELEASE      106774  ........  09:31       I ACCEPT THIS OFP AND I AM FAMILIAR
                                           WITH THE PLANNED ROUTE AND AERODROMES

FUEL TANK CAP 163393 KG / MAX EXTRA FUEL 0 KG LIM BY LDW
TRIP CORR FOR 4000 KG TOW INCR: +899 KG / 4000 KG TOW DECR: -898 KG
2000 FT BELOW:  +1062 KG / EET 07:34   CLB SPD: 320/84   DESC SPD: 84/290

LFPG/CDG  STD 16:50  ETD 16:50  ACT OFBL .....  EST T/O 16:50  ACT T/O .....
KJFK/JFK  STA 00:30  ETA 00:15  ACT ONBL .....  EST LDG 00:15  ACT LDG .....
                                TTL BLCK .....                 TTL FLT .....

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
Thank you all so far!

I understand that! But you said "...the team is going to start testing the AIRACs for a few releases..." Does that mean that it will take serveral months (because a new AIRAC comes every 28 days!)  :(

Hi Mike Oscar,

This topic has only one goal, showing the very good work of Gary and learn to manage ETOPS with PFPX.
The release time will come when It will come.

Best Regards
Pierre

Offline lpf20011

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
Hi Philippe,

Thanks for that aswell. Nice to see the different units shown.

Cheers,

Tim

Offline gary.mcginnis

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »
MikeOscar,

I mean beta-releases I would assume... ;D

Regarding the 2000 above, I'm almost positive PFPX didn't populate that data because flight at that altitude would have been above the MAX ALT capabilities of the airplane at the weight. It populated for 2000 below IIRC (don't have the OFP in front of me).

Thanks Philippe for stepping in.... AFK all day today and on my cellphone :)

Gary
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:35:32 PM by gary.mcginnis »

Offline ESzczesniak

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »

It could, but since they have an agreement with Aerosoft, it is also possible they could get archived old releases to test with.

Offline lpf20011

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »

Regarding the 2000 above, I'm almost positive PFPX didn't populate that data because flight at that altitude would have been above the MAX ALT capabilities of the airplane at the weight. It populated for 2000 below IIRC (don't have the OFP in front of me).

Interesting.

I know that with F.O.C if the winds were favourable then it wouldn't recommend step climbing but I would imagine that fairly quickly into a long haul flight you could get that 2000ft gap between your opt and max altitude in no time.

In regards to Max Alt. I would of thought that theres a degree of redundancy, so say the FMC says your max alt is F320, it could be that the aircraft can handle up to F340 in non normal circumstances.

Cheers,

Tim