Author Topic: Back from vacation - Future of TOPCAT  (Read 17589 times)

Offline Christian Grill (TOPCAT)

• Administrator
    • The TOPCAT homepage
Back from vacation - Future of TOPCAT
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:02:57 AM »
Hello Captains!

After a few weeks of silence I'm back from summer vacation and I'd like to write a few lines about the future of TOPCAT.

The release of TOPCAT v2.27 was the 27th update of the program within the last 8 month. The program has developed from a simple excel spreadsheet in 2004 to -what I think - a very nice and useful tool and a professional approach to real-life procedures.

As the whole process of planning, developing, publishing, supporting, etc... is more or less a one-man-show (my girlfriend Judith is helping me greatly with non-programming items) TOPCAT is consuming a hell lot of my spare time.

I would like to thank also Richard McDonald Woods who wrote a very professional, 82-pages Users Guide.

Now I get requests about more and more aircraft types.
Making a new type is - as you might imagine - very time consuming. So maybe there are some volounteers out there, willing to make a new aircraft type for TOPCAT.
What you need is some basic knowledge on C++ programming, a C++ compiler (Like MS-Visual Studio) and TIME. To everyone who is interested I would send A VC project file with a description and a sample project. You could then publish your result on the TOPCAT homepage or you even sell it, If desired.

If you still have any ideas for an improvement of TOPCAT, just tell me...

Best Regads,
Christian Grill
TOPCAT
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:39:48 AM by Christian Grill (TOPCAT) »
Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT

Offline will

Re: Back from vacation - Future of TOPCAT
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »
Christian,

Thanks for all the hard work you (and others) have out into TOPCAT. I encourage all my FS friends to use it. It has now become one of the "no-go" items on my flightsim MEL ;D

Offline MCDONAR

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:04:04 PM »
Christian,
I would also like to add my thanks for all your efforts to date. May you still find time to add additional features without finding yourself over-committed.

Many thanks for your mention of myself as a contributor.

I am still a regular user of TOPCAT. I too find it indispensible for realistic flight planning for my 744s.
Many thanks, Richard

ahuimanu

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
Hi, I am new...

I can help you with making a profile using VC++.

Jeff

Offline nicnacjak

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:37:14 AM »
I just finished C++ I last semester. Moving on to C++ II next semester. I don't have Visual Studio but I can make some code if you need any help. As a former Dispatch Student I'd be really interested in helping with the development or testing of Professional Flight Planner X. I need experience and better tool for flight sim. You couldn't ask for a more motivated volunteer!   

Offline coloboxp

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
Hi,

I can give it a try, I would like to make the PMDG 777 one, so I can make the code based in an existing DLL or so.

Let me know :)

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
Thanks  to both for proposal.

Please could you contact Christian directly to have a better answer than mine.

Best Regards
Pierre

Offline Judith B.

• Administrator
    • FlightSimSoft
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:13 AM »
Hi,

I can give it a try, I would like to make the PMDG 777 one, so I can make the code based in an existing DLL or so.

We are already working on B777 for TOPCAT - and we also were asked by people who wanted to help us, despite they had C++ knowledge, it is a very complex work for adding a new aircraft type.

Maybe Christian is soon able to simpify the implementation of aircraft files so user can do it like in PFPX, but this is not as easy as it sounds (otherwise he would have done it already!)

Brgds,
Judith
Judith Blaschegg
FlightSimSoft - office

Offline coloboxp

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »
Hi,

We are already working on B777 for TOPCAT - and we also were asked by people who wanted to help us, despite they had C++ knowledge, it is a very complex work for adding a new aircraft type.

Maybe Christian is soon able to simpify the implementation of aircraft files so user can do it like in PFPX, but this is not as easy as it sounds (otherwise he would have done it already!)

Brgds,
Judith

Fine then, I offered my help as I used to develop in C++ for several years and I know what it is to do so quite well.

Never mind, glad to hear it is coming.

Best regards.

Offline mroschk

• PFPX testers
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
Hello Christian,

i also would like to say thanks for the GREAT TOPCAT and PFPX too.
Hope you had a good time in vacation ..

I have a expierience in programming C#, but not in C++, sorry.
The other is that i fly only the B737-800 because of building a homecockpit with this AC Type.

Matthias

malik66

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
Hello Captains! :(

aceridgey

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »

Christian,

Would it be possible to discuss with add on developers and ask them to compile a topcat profile with every release of a product?

Alex