Author Topic: TOPCAT and MS-Flightsim AddOns  (Read 17149 times)

Offline Christian Grill (TOPCAT)

• Administrator
    • The TOPCAT homepage
TOPCAT and MS-Flightsim AddOns
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
Hello TOPCAT users!

Recently, I got a huge amount of emails about making TOPCAT compatible with a certain MS-FS Add-On.
Presently every Add-On has to be programmed individually, as they all use different paypload stations and fuel tank configurations.

It's very odd to adjust the aircraft performance file for every single user.

I've an idea now how to make things more generic and allow the users themselves to adjust the trim/payload/loading configuration to meet their personal need. Implementation will take some time, as I have to adjust TOPCAT internals significantly.

So I've to ask for some more patience

Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT
Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT

Offline frankwaanders

Re: TOPCAT and MS-Flightsim AddOns
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »
Hoi Christian,

Good news! Can you already explain (globally) how this will be accomplished?

Greets, Frank

• Administrator
    • The TOPCAT homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
Hello,

I have been working hard to find a solution for this issue. In the future it will be possible to adjust TOPCAT pretty easily for different Add-Ons. Furthermore, you will be able to load passengers and cargo holds individually.

Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:46:54 PM by Christian Grill (TOPCAT) »
Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:46:48 PM »
Sounds great !

Impatient to test it.

Pierre

Offline deltaV

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:20:04 PM »
Looking forward to this! Seems like a great addition to the program.
With regards,

Danny de Vries

Offline BAW063

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
Excellent news, this will be really cool! Great work.

James

• Administrator
    • The TOPCAT homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
Hello,

TOPCAT 2.55 Beta 6 is now available at http://www.topcatsim.com/?page=download.
This version includes a completely revised Weight & Balance Module.

Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT
Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT

Offline buschpilot

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
Hi Christian,

due to the mass of request about performacne files, you could publish a time/work- table for the upcoming and/or planned files. In addition, remark all you never release. it is less stressin^^

MfG

Offline Robert McDonald

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Hello TOPCAT users!

Recently, I got a huge amount of emails about making TOPCAT compatible with a certain MS-FS Add-On.
Presently every Add-On has to be programmed individually, as they all use different paypload stations and fuel tank configurations.

It's very odd to adjust the aircraft performance file for every single user.

I've an idea now how to make things more generic and allow the users themselves to adjust the trim/payload/loading configuration to meet their personal need. Implementation will take some time, as I have to adjust TOPCAT internals significantly.

So I've to ask for some more patience

Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT

Hello Christian!

Wow!  I bet it must be challenging trying to keep the PMDG pilots happy.  Truthfully, most pilots would likely say that PMDG is the 'go to' airplane of choice in FSX (along with the Airbus).  For my part, I only fly the NGX and now the B772-ER.  I purchased PFPX after seeing the product already supporting the NGX and the 777.  Foolishly, I never dreamed that Topcat would not.

Hey, I can afford to blow E 15 and never use Topcat, but it sure would be great if I could.  As far as me develooping the profile for the airplane, honestly speaking, why would I buy your software in that event?  I could do the same for free on FuelPlanner.com if I simply load up the profile data on their site.  If this were a simple task for novice pilots, we'd all be doing it and likely not buying performance calculation software from you and Aerosoft. 

I recognize that PMDG is a strong competitor to Aerosoft, and wonder if that has any relationship with the situation we face now?

Throwing the programming onto the pilot body?  Just feels wrong.  It's like publishing a phone directory, then asking the user to enter all the phone numbers for their own city.

Not meaning any disrespect, but just gently trying to point out the  'reality' that PMDG is POPULAR, possibly the MOST POPULAR of all add-ons in FSX.  To ignore them is unfathomable.

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »
Hello,

I'm not Christian, but as his "spokesman", I can tell you that the interest of FlightSimSoft is to develop the best-seller aircraft profiles.
During the long PFPX development TOPCAT has took large delay concerning the new addons released between.

Now PFPX is each day more stable. So Christian will be able to improve TOPCAT until getting the same profiles as PFPX.

I well know Christian, and I can say that his first goal is customer satisfaction.

The main problem, is TOPCAT aircraft profiles are quite different than PFPX ones.

I already said PFPX profiles are plain text files, with complex contain, but easy to create for who has the right data.
TOCAT profiles are C++ dll files which contain also complex data but in addition, a complex code which only a programmer could implement.

Please just be patient, and you'll be enjoyed by the future development for TOPCAT in the next month.
The first will be a new airport database provided soon by Navigraph with up to date data mainly obstacles, runways and more.

I hope you to be reassured.

Best Regards
Pierre

Offline Robert McDonald

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »
Thank you Pierre!  You are very kind, and I am excited to learn of future Topcat plan!  I have send email to Christian and offered my help with the 777.  I am serious in offering!  If I can do anything at all that help Christian improve Topcat and add support for NGX and 777 by PMDG, I will do it!  Those are the only 2 aircraft I fly in my Virtual Airline (American), so it benefit me as well as Christian.

I know Visual Basic, I cannot imagine changing things to C++ would be too much harder?  Anyway, I'm happy to help if you want it!

Send me a PM with what you want me to do!

Thank you,
Robert McDonald
JoinAVA.org  AAL222

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »
Hello Robert,

Kind proposal from you.

I've explained in another post the difficulties to code a profile for TOPCAT.
Doug has posted too a list of data needed for create a profile.

I think this task should more easy for helping Christian an Judith because it is the more time consuming.

May be could we ask him to digitalizing those data in a first time?

What do you think about?

Best regards
Pierre