Author Topic: Prospective purchaser  (Read 4627 times)

Offline Briant

Prospective purchaser
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
As the title says I'm contemplating purchasing TOPCAT to work alongside PFPX. I mainly fly using either the PMDG 737 NGX, PMDG 747's or the Aerosoft Airbus range as well as the Magestic Dash 8.
Can anyone tell me how well these aircraft are supported if at all in this programme?
Regards
Brian

Offline jordancollins

Re: Prospective purchaser
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
They won't

Offline Briant

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:01 AM »
Care to elaborate? They won't support these aircraft or they won't tell me? And by they I take it you mean the developer?

Offline jpost

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »
The types of aircraft supported are shown on the TOPCAT product page at FightSimSoft.com - they support the PMDG NGX -700 and -800 variants only, the PMDG 747 and 747F. While not directly support the Aerosoft Airbus, they do provide performance date for the A320 w/CFM 56-5B4 engines which should be close. There is no profile yet for the Dash-8. They are working on additional aircraft profiles, but progress is slow. There are only two developers with real-world jobs elsewhere and they use official performance data which requires some extensive massaging to get in the right format for their program. I've used TOPCAT almost since its inception and am content with its integration into PFPX for flight planning. Yes, I wish new profiles came quicker, but I understand the time and effort required by the developers.

Offline Briant

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:11 PM »
The types of aircraft supported are shown on the TOPCAT product page at FightSimSoft.com - they support the PMDG NGX -700 and -800 variants only, the PMDG 747 and 747F. While not directly support the Aerosoft Airbus, they do provide performance date for the A320 w/CFM 56-5B4 engines which should be close. There is no profile yet for the Dash-8. They are working on additional aircraft profiles, but progress is slow. There are only two developers with real-world jobs elsewhere and they use official performance data which requires some extensive massaging to get in the right format for their program. I've used TOPCAT almost since its inception and am content with its integration into PFPX for flight planning. Yes, I wish new profiles came quicker, but I understand the time and effort required by the developers.
Ok great thanks for that very helpful  :)

Offline wivsteve

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
Hi

I purchased this product and I have used it for the ATR72.  However, like you I use the Majestic DASH 8 and Aerosoft AIRBUS 318/19/20/21 and this product does not support these aircraft and it seems unlikely that it will in the near future if you read the posts in this forum.  I have tried the planner for the A320 CFM but find its output is very different from that given in the Aerosoft planner.  Support is poor, the auto update option does not work and after recently going on this forum I found an update for aircraft in the 2.74 beta version???.  This just added the PMDG 777.

I therefore regard this product (unless you fly the aircraft already listed) as a waste of money.  The developers seem to be focused on the PFPX product and ignore TOPCAT, however they are still happy to take your money.  I would probably have bought PFPX if it hadn't been for my experience with this product.

Sorry to all those happy TOPCAT users to provide such a negative opinion but I can only go by my own experience.

Offline Briant

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:50 PM »
Hi

I purchased this product and I have used it for the ATR72.  However, like you I use the Majestic DASH 8 and Aerosoft AIRBUS 318/19/20/21 and this product does not support these aircraft and it seems unlikely that it will in the near future if you read the posts in this forum.  I have tried the planner for the A320 CFM but find its output is very different from that given in the Aerosoft planner.  Support is poor, the auto update option does not work and after recently going on this forum I found an update for aircraft in the 2.74 beta version???.  This just added the PMDG 777.

I therefore regard this product (unless you fly the aircraft already listed) as a waste of money.  The developers seem to be focused on the PFPX product and ignore TOPCAT, however they are still happy to take your money.  I would probably have bought PFPX if it hadn't been for my experience with this product.

Sorry to all those happy TOPCAT users to provide such a negative opinion but I can only go by my own experience.
Thanks very much for that comprehensive answer! maybe I need to look further afield.
I mainly use the PMDG 737 and will be getting the 777 soon so I guess I'm covered there. shame about the Buses and the Dash though.
Reading through the posts on here it would appear that a complete re-write of the software with a simplified method of inputting performance data is necessary....I only wish I knew how to achieve it!!