Author Topic: What Updates Can I Expect  (Read 7970 times)

Offline RKillins

What Updates Can I Expect
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:16:39 AM »
I am new to Topcat and am in the process of learning the ropes for its effective use. I downloaded and applied my key to the Topcat v.2.74beta version. In the general options, I have chose to receive notification of updates.

1. With my license, am I eligible for free updates when they become available, or will ongoing purchases be necessary. When 2.74 leaves it's beta phase, will I be entitled to the final release?

2. I see there is an "Airport and Runway" database? Is this updated on occassion? How do we know when these updates, if any, are available. The user manual doesn't have much to say about updates.

Offline wivsteve

Re: What Updates Can I Expect
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »
HI.

My opinion on this product is that it is a waste of money.  I purchased it earlier this year without checking out the forums. If you look there are many dissatisfied customers like me.
No updates and lots of excuses.  If the software is designed so that to add an aircraft requires a major rewrite then the design is bad.  I might have purchased PFPX but my experience with topcat means I will NOT bother.  I am already seeing posts about the Airbus 318/19 asking for an update... and all the usual excuses.

If they take peoples hard earned money they should provide a service.

Offline PatrickM

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
And like everywhere, disappointed people cry louder than happy people..

Updates for TOPCAT are free. The runway database is there to update runway lengths, runway entries/exits.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/kind regards
Patrick

Offline wivsteve

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »
You are correct that updates appear to be free.

I have topcat configured for auto updates when ever I load it?.

Software was updated 9/09/2013.
runways is dated 21/01/2011.
aircraft??? most recent Jan 2011.

Why shouldn't unhappy people complain about poor service and bad products. This product is still being sold and in my opinion is effectively dead.

Offline D_Dragon

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
It appears that you are indeed 'a little behind' with the updates. My version of the software was updated 28-3-2014, the runways were updated 29-9-2014 and the aircraft were updated 29-3-2014.

If you don't take care of the updates don't blame the company that releases the software. It wouldn't surprise me if you are still running Windows XP if you have the same update policy with Windows as you seem to have with TopCat.

I am a very happy user of this wonderful piece of software.

Greetings,

Theo.

Offline wivsteve

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
So does Auto update work?

Offline wivsteve

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
I think not as I just ran it and nothing got updated.  Anyone got anymore (Polite) suggestions about this "wonderful product"

Offline RKillins

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:22:33 PM »
It appears that you are indeed 'a little behind' with the updates. My version of the software was updated 28-3-2014, the runways were updated 29-9-2014 and the aircraft were updated 29-3-2014.

Hmmm ... I just downloaded and installed last night, 2.74, yet the database that was installed was Rev. 09.01 ... dated Jan. 21, 2011.

If you don't take care of the updates don't blame the company that releases the software.

I have "Automatically check for updates at program start" enabled, and even manually checked it. It says I'm up-to date. (the application is current, but not sure about the runways and aircraft, I would think there would be some differences over 3 years)  How do you go about getting an update from Mar. 2014 for these?? I think as a brand new customer I would at least have the most current data, if not be able to update once installed.

Offline PatrickM

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »
You guys know that you can update the database via an Navigraph AIRAC?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/kind regards
Patrick

Offline D_Dragon

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 03:02:32 AM »
As I see it there are three update 'problems'. 1: Updates to the program itself, 2: updates to the aircraft database, 3: updates to the runway database.

1. I suppose the auto update only checks for 'final' versions and not for bug fixes and/or beta versions (but that is something the developers have to look at). I know for sure that in the past couple of years quite a number of bugfixes have been made available, so the developers tackle those bugs in this program for sure. In the header of the forum there is a link to the latest (beta) version, but you will have to install it manually.
2. Although the aircraft database has an older date, there are aircraft available with a later date (in my case 29MAR14).
3. With the software a base package of the runways has been supplied. To keep this up to date (if you want to) you will have to get a separate subscription to the Navigraph updates (13 per year). This is not only for TopCat, but also for PFPX, iFly, PMDG, Wilco and ProSim (just to name a few).

If the auto update feature is the part that decides if a piece of software is good or bad without taking the technical and functional aspects into view, then I could easily say that a Ferrari is a bad car because I don't like the color red they are using. Both remarks have nothing to do with the product itself but of something someone would like to see different.

I have also been using iFly and PMDG but over time my expectations about a flight simulator changed and hence those pieces of software did not comply with my wishes anymore. Does that make them 'rubbish'? No offcourse not, they just don't live up to my expectations anymore, but a lot of people are very happy with it (and so they should be).

If the auto update feature does bother you without looking at the technical and functional aspects, ask the developers to remove that feature and you will have a wonderful product.

I hope I was polite enough this time.

Greetings,

Theo.

Offline RKillins

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »
You guys know that you can update the database via an Navigraph AIRAC?

Downloaded & installed Topcat Airac 1411 from Navigraph. Can't see whether an update was applied or not. Still indicates REV 09.1 from Jan. 11. The Navigraph AIRAC was "installed" with it's installer, but Topcat has an option to "install databse". Selecting this has one looking for the .tdb database. Is this the file Navigraph is supposed to replace? Do I need to manually install the Navigraph data with the "install database" option in TopCat? If so, how do I get the .tdb file from the Navigraph installer?

The Navigraph readme has no relevant installation information ... basically generic for all their self installers.

Theo ... how did you get your 2014 runway and aircraft updates?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:01:54 PM by RKillins »

Offline D_Dragon

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 08:08:01 PM »
It is advisable to install the Navigraph database in the directory where TopCat resides (so NOT in the default Program Files directory). After the AIRAC has been installed, open TopCat and press F10 (Configuration). Select the Airport and Runway Database tab and click on Install database... You will see the database.tdb file that AIRAC has installed. Select this file and click on Open.

In the database installation screen click on Yes and the new AIRAC files will be imstalled in TopCat. Close the installation screen by clicking OK. And you will see the (new) version of the Navigraph database. After closing all screens and TopCat self, the new runway information is saved to the TopCat own database.

The latest aircraft database is incorporated in the latest version of TopCat. In the forum header you will see a link to the latest version (at the moment 2.74 beta). If you still haven't got this version I advise you to download and install it to be up-to-date again (including the Boeing 777 aircrafts dated 29MAR14).

I know it is far from an automated update, but maybe the developers will look into this feature in one of the next releases.

Greetings,

Theo.

Offline RKillins

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
Thanks Theo for your reply ...

The Navigraph installer must have did it's magic without having to specify the destination directory. It automatically installed it's wares exactly where Topcat resided, which in my case is far away from the program Files Directory. The database file left behind in the installation must be hidden, as I didn't see it in Windows Explorer. I assumed it hadn't been dropped. But when I accessed the update featurei n TopCat configuration, there it was.

It was installed without flaw.

And yes ... I had originally downloaded the most recent beta version of Topcat ... 2.74beta, so all should be good now.