Author Topic: RW Dispatchers Question  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Scott

RW Dispatchers Question
« on: August 25, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
Hello all,
This question is for all RW Dispatchers out there.  I am in my 2nd week of Dispatcher class and I am hoping to graduate on Sep. 20.  I have worked the ramp for 14 years with a major 121 flag carrier, I also have my PPL ASEL.  In hoping that I can get a Dispatch job some day soon (1-2yrs) I applied for a ramp tower job for the OPS experience.  What other things can I do to pad my resume to get a job as a Dispatcher without leaving the company, I have thought about applying with there regional partner.  Im not sure if the is a good idea though. There have been reports that the company would like to get rid of the regional partner.  I really don't want the lose my Co Seniority.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Scott

Offline dougsnow

Re: RW Dispatchers Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »
A - Talk to your DX management.  That is a must. What are their thoughts...

B - I did what you are thinking of.  I was at UA in OPBCM (crew desk), and left UA after getting my ticket to go get some real 121 experience. We also had a flight info desk that I couldve taken a 60% paycut to go work at.  Long story short, since UA went into BK and furloughed, leaving UA was the best move I have made, as I wouldve gotten furloughed in 03.  I'm now at a much more stable airline than any US pax carrier, with the possible exception of SWA.

Real 121 experience, even at a regional, is golden. DO NOT discount that experience. You get the certificate, but only by actually doing it, working releases, crap wx, ATC, broken airplanes, do you really learn it.  After a few years at a release mill (regional), go to a scumbag airline - the nonsked supplemental.  You'll dispatch crap equipment over all the continents into some places that are barely airports.  That experience is priceless. I've had airplanes over three of the major oceans (Indian, Atlantic, Western Pac) simultaneously many times.

At my carrier, we have had a lot of people completely leave the carrier, go in the mil, work at a smaller carrier, then get rehired after a few years.  As long as you are eligible for rehire...

Good luck.
B777 / ETOPS Dispatch Subject Matter Expert - Major US 121 Cargo Airline. Team Australian Worldflight 2013 (B744),  (LC).

Offline Limri

Re: RW Dispatchers Question
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:28:24 AM »
I agree here.
I had 12 years in ATC and about 5 years as a dispatcher in US regional and 2 in major. The sucks is if you get hired by regional airline you may get stuck there for years. I finally get a job in major but it was long 5 years in regional and they didn't pay much. The experience I brought from regional is priceless!  I am not sure if I'd survived in major airline without my experience I got in regional.
I would also talk to your manager and find out if they can promote you to a DX position. You will probably be more comfortable in your airline other than start over somewhere else.
If you need help with resume I can send you mine.   
Good luck.
Edward