Author Topic: Annual subscricption questions and answers  (Read 36954 times)

Offline mari8it

Re: Annual subscricption questions and answers
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »
the price is realy honest i think, hope that this price will be confirmed next year....good work
  ;)
Mario Malizia

and soon

Offline MD_Fan

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 02:31:16 AM »
Subscription cost
The plans are now to make PFPX available mid next week (AROUND the 28th of August)
The price for an additional 365 day subscription period will be 14,90 (incl. EU VAT)

Thanks for clearing this up.

14,90 isn't bad at all :-)

Hi Christian and co.,

This is your creation and from all reports it's a great piece of work. I have an AOA subscription and what I have seen says this
software is a "day-one" buy. I respect your decision in regards to prices, and I don't require any explanations. Just sell me the thing "now"  :)and give me a great tutorial and I'll be happier :). Good luck with everything, and remember you can't please everyone.

Offline frankl777

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »
(...) For TAF, I would believe they may probably not get all of them, because that would make a huge increase in terms of data, but I don't really know what goes on with each addons, so on that specific I'm sure someone better placed than I am will answer you more properly ;)
Cheers

Hi wedge,
I hope Christian, Judith or a Beta tester will jump in and answer this question. That would be very kind.
Thank you too for answering my question as much as you were able to. Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Frank

Offline richtemark

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
Just to clarify: if I have ActiveSky or REX (or, in the future, maybe another supported program), I do not need to buy the server extension and PFPX will be fully functional? All relevant and required data are provided by AS/REX?

Correct: PFPX will remain fully functional and you will be able to use weather from these add-ons.
However, you won't have Access to real-time track and NOTAM data from the PFPX data Server.

Thanks for your explanation. One (hopefully last) further question though: If I don't have access to real-time tracks, can I nevertheless create an accurate flightplan between, let's say, EDDF and KJFK with current NATRACKS if I have ASA/REX but not the server subscription?

Cheers,
Markus

It would be great if one from the developers could answer my question. Thanks.

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
Hi,

I can say YES to your question, but you'll need to enter each NAT's waypoints manually.

Cheers
Pierre

Offline ESzczesniak

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
Hi,

I can say YES to your question, but you'll need to enter each NAT's waypoints manually.

Cheers
Pierre

To expand on that, I saw in the manual an option to load NAT tracks from disk.  Would it be possible to have the current NAT tracks in .txt or whatever format and load them in to PFPX, then use AS or similar weather, effectively allowing current NAT use in the absence of a subscription? 

I'll probably be continuing with the subscription since it's a modest cost, but am curious about what I can and can't do without the subscription.  I suspect a lot of people's anxiety are related to "licensed" products where there program stops working if the license is no longer supported (company bankrupt, product support dropped, etc).  Based on the explanations, that is clearly not the path of PFPX and it's subscription for data, but still I think a lot of us have had bad experiences with the former and will want to figure out what does/doesn't work.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:29:45 PM by ESzczesniak »

Offline Happpy

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
Hello everybody, I have questions, to continue with what ESzczesniak said !

As I read, subscription to PFPX server is necessary ONLY for NATS and NOTAM.
I think that NOTAM are not really important in the simulator because airport can't be modified like in real life, etc.

(Could you sum me up advantages of using PFPX server ?)

I read that we will be able to enter each NATS manually in PFPX in order to use the weather with Active Sky or other weather programs.

But I have a question and I'm sorry if the answer has already been given...
For PFPX database, will we be able to use Airac ?
Or is the PFPX server compulsory to update the database, fix, waypoints... etc... ?

Another question, the 777 (for example) will be available in PFPX, but will it be too in TOPCAT ?

Thank you ! :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:27:30 PM by Happpy »

Offline Pierre95

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 06:06:03 PM »
Hi,

I think Christian will clarify that point soon.

Cheers
Pierre

Offline frankl777

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
Hi there,

I don't want look like "stressing" around ;), but my question regarding the weather tools is very important for me.
Is it better to post that question in the Aerosoft forum or is it ok here? Don't know where it get answered.

For me the problem with Internet in common is, that I'm one of the lucky guys here in DE which don't have broadband internet and go online quite rare with a surfstick. Then I download current and historical weather with FSGRW to have some reservs for my flights. Therefore - for me - it'd be nice to know if METAR, TAF and upper wind data is extracted from the weather tools. Because I can't download them on a regular basis. I have no problem with a subscription, I just can't use it :(.

Maybe a Beta tester could be so kind to just deactivate his internet and use the weather from the tools he has (REX or Active Sky) and can tell me if the upper wind data is shown up in the OFP. That would really help me a lot.

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,
Frank

Offline ESzczesniak

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
Hi there,

I don't want look like "stressing" around ;), but my question regarding the weather tools is very important for me.
Is it better to post that question in the Aerosoft forum or is it ok here? Don't know where it get answered.

For me the problem with Internet in common is, that I'm one of the lucky guys here in DE which don't have broadband internet and go online quite rare with a surfstick. Then I download current and historical weather with FSGRW to have some reservs for my flights. Therefore - for me - it'd be nice to know if METAR, TAF and upper wind data is extracted from the weather tools. Because I can't download them on a regular basis. I have no problem with a subscription, I just can't use it :(.

Maybe a Beta tester could be so kind to just deactivate his internet and use the weather from the tools he has (REX or Active Sky) and can tell me if the upper wind data is shown up in the OFP. That would really help me a lot.

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,
Frank

I am not a beta tester, but have been stalking PFPX throughout the many forums.  My understanding is that all weather data (METAR, winds aloft, ? TAF depending if they are downloaded with the weather client) can be accessed through REX and AS2012 offline.  PFPX will somehow communicate with those programs to obtain the weather data.  FSGRW and OpusFSX are not yet supported and won't be on the initial release, but there is already discussion of adding support for OpusFSX at least--hopefully FSGRW as well, as I'm starting to get a real interest with it's concept of "local weather effects".

So as I interpret things, you should be ok with using those offline weather sources and PFPX getting the weather from them.  What I am not sure of yet is how the licensing/activation will work.  It has been said that while PFPX can be installed on multiple computers, it can only be used on one computer at a time.  This may mean that PFPX will need to have access to the internet to check it's license and see if it is in use elsewhere.  Please realize this is purely speculation though, I don't actually know this as fact.

Offline Christian Grill (TOPCAT)

• Administrator
    • The TOPCAT homepage
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 11:10:01 PM »
Therefore - for me - it'd be nice to know if METAR, TAF and upper wind data is extracted from the weather tools.

That's true for ActiveSky and REX, and will probably be true for Opus, altough I must admit that I don't know what kind of data and in what format they provide.
Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT

Offline frankl777

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »
Good evening Christian,

Thank you very much for jumping into the thread and taking the time to answer my question. Much appreciated.
Also very good news for me. I have REX for the textures and therefore could download historical weather and use it as long as FSGRW is not supported.

Have a nice weekend and best regards,
Frank

Offline Happpy

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »
Okay so I have the answer of my question, PFPX server just allow to view NOTAM and NATS...
But NATS can be entered manually it's good^^

-Weather can be used from Active SKY

But what about database and Airac ?

Okay so number of PFPX installation won't be limited ? Just that it could be launched only on one computer a time ! ^^

Offline ESzczesniak

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 02:48:53 AM »
...But what about database and Airac ?...

It will remain static with the release version (I assume 1308 or 1309) navigation data unless you purchase updates for the database.  It looks like both Aerosoft Navdata and Navigraph will support the PFPX format.  Their pricing schemes very slightly, but both come out to about $5-6/cycle.  Navigraph allows you to purchase single months which is good for people like me who like to update things every so often (1-2x/year), but don't need things to be perfectly up-to-date.  I thought with Aerosoft you needed to purchase a year at a time, but don't quote me on that.

Offline Christian Grill (TOPCAT)

• Administrator
    • The TOPCAT homepage
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »
(Could you sum me up advantages of using PFPX server ?)
The PFPX Servers provide real-time upper winds (including a 48-hour forecast), METAR, TAF, NOTAMs and Organized Track Data.

I read that we will be able to enter each NATS manually in PFPX in order to use the weather with Active Sky or other weather programs.
You can load a previously stored track message (a couple of stored track Messages come with the installer) or use random tracks (via Lat/lon waypoints) for oceanic crossing.
We plan a Feature to directly paste a track message into PFPX which is then converted to a graphical fromat and can be used for flight planning

But I have a question and I'm sorry if the answer has already been given...
For PFPX database, will we be able to use Airac ?
Or is the PFPX server compulsory to update the database, fix, waypoints... etc... ?
Initially PFPX is delivered with AIRAC cycle 1302 provided by Aerosoft.
Regular AIRAC updates are available by Aerosoft and Navigraph.
This does not require server subscirption, but is sold separaty by the mentioned providers.

Another question, the 777 (for example) will be available in PFPX, but will it be too in TOPCAT ?
The 777 will be fully supported by PFPX, but there is no TOPCAT Performance module (yet).
Best Regards
Christian Grill
TOPCAT